learning coding [Mega Thread]

GameDevCel

gonna take a break
ok there is multiple ways to get into coding bellow there is learning resources and stuff i learned from experience, the bellow might get you a big head jump into getting employment.

Ch1. Categories

i would say code developers can be divided in a few categories, if you already now what you want to do, you can jump in to learn the stuff necessary to become a master of that category, and jump a whole lot of content.

Generalist: he is the classic jack of all traits master of none, he knows low level and high level languages, front end, back end, linuxs shell, etc.... but he is the master of none

Low level programmer: despise the name, the low level dev is the most knowledgeable and important of them all, specialize in stuff like C++,C and Assembler languages (x80-86 most common), those dudes tend to write down operating system and game engines those guys tend to code high performance code with very little impact on user interface, his job is to make everything fast and fixs bugs who can crash the PC in nano seconds, those dudes tend to work directly with bits, buffers and memory adresses, and even direct CPU instructions its hard as work.

high level programmer: tend to specialize in academics, generally use python, sometimes C++ or java, and very rarely javascript, those dudes work with neural networks, and have very little knowledge of how bits works, despise that he produce much more complex software the the low level dev, the high level dev is dependent the low level dev making the necessary tools, so he can build over them more complex software

Game Dev: more common use C#,C++, GDscript or GML, some times they don't even need to code and uses something like construct 2 or multi media fusion 2, those both are limited to 2D, so if you want to make 3D games,you need coding knowledge, most of them are dependent of a existence game engine made by a low level dev follow a list of possible engines (Godot, Uniy, Unreal, Gamemaker, Construct, Multi Media Fusion) i recommend godot above all of them, the bonus of game deving is that you have free games in the end of the day, i also consider it an excellent way to learn the basics even if you want to work in another field, most engines have everything you need for your project in one place, so you don't have to worry with command line, or about environment variables, or external libraries, there is also devs who especialize in shading language which run on the GPU to make graphical effects an interesting field, but quite difficult for new comers.

Front End dev: tend to take care of stuff like webpages and User Interfaces of programs, specializes in Javascript, CSS and HTML, those are very often 'web developers' a term i quite dislike to be honest, this one is where most programmers start, as it involve less coding, and more just making things looks nicely, for anyone interested on this one,i recommend in learning Node.JS and Electron, as those are the stuff used to power Discord and Atom text Editor, and can even run natively on web.

Back end dev: this one is by far the most diverse of them all, i saw back end being made on: javascript, PHP, Golang and C++, those are the ones who power the inernet, for this field you require some other knowledge, such as using the linux command line, which is necessary to manage a server, and also use of databased such as mySQL, redis, MongodDB, Apache Cassandra, firebase and many others.

Shell Manager: this one is not excellency a programmer, just the dude who take cares of shell command on linux servers, if you want to host a game server, web page, or anything similar you need this one, you should learn the baick linuxs commands (the ones to install things, to move folders, create folders, rename folders, browse folders, a lot of folders dealing with this) GNU/Linux is a really complex field, i recommend to start off by downloading linux mint o a pen drive and installing in a pen drive using yumi, later you can try to user serve host, it can be a common one such as google cloud or azure, an offshore non cucked one if you want to host based stuff, i recommend learning to use LFM, W3M and Git in linuxs so you will have a easier time.

Ch2 the university way:

bellow is a list of subjects from college this is 3/4 of college education coding, college give a nice head start, as the teachers there can give you some nice guidance of what to study, and where to get employment, the subjects there are quite general and never really go in deph about anything:
Bellow it is stuff that are universal concepts shared by ever language
Variables (interger, string, bool, Arrays)​
Functions​
Objects​
If else​
Switch Case​
For loop​
Structs​
Pointer​
Heap​
List​
Push and Pop​
Arrays​

Languges
C++​
Java​
HTML <- technically not a programing language​
PHP​
javascript​
SQL <- technicaly not a programing language​
Android Studio <- Java framework​

Conepts
Object Orited programming​
FlowChart​
UML​
Ch.3 where to start? well, i would say that, you should simply start with whatever language, which doesn't matter that much, in order to use a language you need either a compiler or a interpreter, if you don't want to install anything i would them recommend you javscript and chrome and firefoxs come with javascript interpreters out of the boxs, or to download the godot engine as it have no dependencies (aside from the export templates) and it only weights 60mbs, you can start by just creating some simply game there as introduction to coding.

if your objective is employment rather than learning, them i would say linuxs shell could help quite a lot, there is a lot of website templates out there, which you can dowload and set up on apache server running inside a linuxs machine, either that or learn C# on the Unity engine, as its the most widely used game engine.

if you are just wanting to add something to your list of knowledge i would recommend GoLang is a new programming language, but i believe it will grown a lot as it mixes the best both of high level and low level languages in a perfect package for your projects.

you shouldn't worry about knowing all programming languages, you just need to know all the basic programming, shell and databases concepts, and those are easily transferable to a similar field, programing is absurdly diverse, with a ton of ѕhit to learne, so i would say that you shouldn't hush your learning or being demotivated by the colossal amount of stuff cited here

Ch4 non coding computer jobs:

some of those don't nee da line of code to get started, as most of the software come with all the necessary tools made for artists, i'm just gonna leave the link of free software you can freely download and use to your her content, here goes a few

Video Editor
Image Editor
3D Animator
2D Animator
here some extra learning resources

Learning Resources:
https://stackoverflow.com/ <- (full of assholes, but solved many of my doubts)

Last edited:

incellus

Incels.Net Regular
I guess I'm a low-level programmer, based on your breakdown.

I suppose the high-level university AI/ML/theoretical progammers also use languages like Haskell, Lisp, and other exotic languages that are too hard for an old programmer like me.

GameDevCel

gonna take a break

I suppose the high-level university AI/ML/theoretical progammers also use languages like Haskell, Lisp, and other exotic languages that are too hard for an old programmer like me.
no idea you where a programmer lol, do you want to talk about the programming languages you use, and add any interesting info?

GameDevCel said:
try python or javascript, they are the easiest to learn
Are there any spoon fed languages for those with an IQ of 80 and below

besides mopping floors.
HTML

incellus

Incels.Net Regular

GameDevCel

gonna take a break
Ricepill said:
GameDevCel said:

besides mopping floors.
I guess there's BASIC, but that's obsolete now.

Javascript always seemed complex to me. Perhaps it's because of things like the Y-combinator in JavaScript:

http://matt.might.net/articles/implementation-of-recursive-fixed-point-y-combinator-in-javascript-for-memoization/
i had never used that on my javascript projects

if you dislike javascript, you might try golang, it have similar back end functions but its scales better, as it has multi thread build in

incellus

Incels.Net Regular
incellus said:

no idea you where a programmer lol, do you want to talk about the programming languages you use, and add any interesting info?

Ricepill said:
GameDevCel said:

besides mopping floors.
HTML
Main Languages: (now) C/C++, Assembler, PL/X. Other languages (mostly in the past): FORTRAN, PL/I, APL, BASIC, various scripting and document markup languages.

BootyWaver

Incels.Net Novice
GameDevCel said:
incellus said:

Ricepill said:

besides mopping floors.
HTML
Main Languages: (now) C/C++, Assembler, PL/X. Other languages (mostly in the past): FORTRAN, PL/I, APL, BASIC, various scripting and document markup languages.
ASSEMBLER? Thatsfucking IQ mogs me. All I can do is some bash and batch scripts lol.

BootyWaver

Incels.Net Novice
incellus said:
Assembler
Assembler is tera IQ, i don't understand ѕhit about assembler languages.

i read about dudes who used to code on hexadecimal back on 8 bit days, but i don't think you can do that on a 64 bit era

incellus said:
FORTRAN, PL/I, APL, BASIC
those aren't very popular nowdays
Well, if I ever learn ASM it will be to write viruses (virii, btw). I loved writing batch and bash as well as vbs viruses (no payload, just replication) its good hobby imho.

GameDevCel

gonna take a break
GameDevCel said:
incellus said:
Assembler

i read about dudes who used to code on hexadecimal back on 8 bit days, but i don't think you can do that on a 64 bit era

incellus said:
FORTRAN, PL/I, APL, BASIC
Well, if I ever learn ASM it will be to write viruses (virii, btw). I loved writing batch and bash as well as vbs viruses (no payload, just replication) its good hobby imho.
i hade made payloads, but no replication lol, it was a nice virus, it would send me the users key presses trough email

BootyWaver

Incels.Net Novice
BootyWaver said:
GameDevCel said:

i hade made payloads, but no replication lol, it was a nice virus, it would send me the users key presses trough email
Keyloggers huh?
I have used some to get passwords from people using our school library (I installed it on every computer), sadly never got to make a keylogger myself.

GameDevCel

gonna take a break
GameDevCel said:
BootyWaver said:
Keyloggers huh?
I have used some to get passwords from people using our school library (I installed it on every computer), sadly never got to make a keylogger myself.
i only showed it to a friend of mine, to show why he should use a password manager

incellus

Incels.Net Regular
On rare occasions we still have to code in hex. Places where this might happen:

- When inserting debug or other hooks into (specially compiled, non-reentrant) code, so that run-time library code can get control. The hex codepoints are generated dynamically by the system code, and might point to more dynamically generated code out in a control block that saves away stuff and invokes run-tine library routines to do something.

- When you are using new machine instructions that aren't in the assembler (yet).

- At times, when some kind of interrupt occurs, code in the Run-time library needs to figure out what the interrupted code is doing at the time of the interrupt, so suitable recovery action can take place. The run-time needs to examine code bytes near the point of interrupt.

GameDevCel

gonna take a break
GameDevCel said:
On rare occasions we still have to code in hex. Places where this might happen:

- When inserting debug or other hooks into (specially compiled, non-reentrant) code, so that run-time library code can get control. The hex codepoints are generated dynamically by the system code, and might point to more dynamically generated code out in a control block that saves away stuff and invokes run-tine library routines to do something.

- When you are using new machine instructions that aren't in the assembler (yet).

- At times, when some kind of interrupt occurs, code in the Run-time library needs to figure out what the interrupted code is doing at the time of the interrupt, so suitable recovery action can take place. The run-time needs to examine code bytes near the point of interrupt.
damn, i never studied hexadecimal directly, i did worked around with memory addresses and buffers directly manipulating bytes, and even cheated some on some games by changing hexadecimal code running on the system, but damn that is a whole other level

as i said above low level programmers are the knowledble

wizardcel

lolicon, transager and anti aoc advocate
Great thread, man. Thanks a lot. Low level programmer sounds the most interesting of them all. This is where I'll start.