Joker (2019): Why does it resonate with incels so much?

The End

Incels.Net Master
As far as I know the two writers of Joker (Todd Phillips and Scott Silver) have never written anything even slightly similar in tone to this movie. Despite their inexperience they seem to have captured the feelings of alienation, hopelessness and anger that define an incel's existence.

The film is very close in style to Taxi Driver, but (if I remember correctly) Taxi Driver was more about a solitary man's descent into madness. Joker is also about one man, but there are clear allusions to his problems being common in the population, and in fact partly symptomatic of the uncaring society he is part of.

How did this movie manage to get such a clear snapshot of us? Were the screenwriters simply tapping into the zeitgeist? Afterall we're seeing people go apeshit in the USA over one black man getting killed by the police, and that is not too dissimilar to Gotham's residents rioting being triggered by the killing of some rich boys.

My theory is that the film is about losers in general - and we are present day society's losers.

I think of losers as the people at the bottom of the social ladder: people with nothing positive in their life, and not seen as worthwhile by anyone. Throughout history there have always been losers, but there may be a greater amount now than there has been in recent history. People sometimes complain about the wealth gap being greater than it has been in generations. Not quantified or reported is the 'sex gap' being wider than it's been in centuries in western society.

While all of us here have at least a little money none of us have any sex - thus making us the 'poorest' if access to sexual partners was considered the measure of wealth. Women don't usually realize this, but sex is very important in a man's life - so much so that it could easily be considered as important as actual money. Since we are slightly above poverty in cash, but completely impoverished in companionship, I would say we are currently society's second biggest losers (the biggest losers being bums). So any movie about a loser is going to be relatable to incels, and that loser being solitary will make him a dead ringer for us (even if sex is not brought up explicitly).

Bonus question: Why is this film (starring a main character similar to us) so popular, and yet we are still misunderstood and despised?

We're ugly. And Joker was able to share its pain in an artful and entertaining way whereas we just whine 24/7.

Lordgoro

MAD as a Hatter!
As far as I know the two writers of Joker (Todd Phillips and Scott Silver) have never written anything even slightly similar in tone to this movie. Despite their inexperience they seem to have captured the feelings of alienation, hopelessness and anger that define an incel's existence.

The film is very close in style to Taxi Driver, but (if I remember correctly) Taxi Driver was more about a solitary man's descent into madness. Joker is also about one man, but there are clear allusions to his problems being common in the population, and in fact partly symptomatic of the uncaring society he is part of.

How did this movie manage to get such a clear snapshot of us? Were the screenwriters simply tapping into the zeitgeist? Afterall we're seeing people go apeshit in the USA over one black man getting killed by the police, and that is not too dissimilar to Gotham's residents rioting being triggered by the killing of some rich boys.

My theory is that the film is about losers in general - and we are present day society's losers.

I think of losers as the people at the bottom of the social ladder: people with nothing positive in their life, and not seen as worthwhile by anyone. Throughout history there have always been losers, but there may be a greater amount now than there has been in recent history. People sometimes complain about the wealth gap being greater than it has been in generations. Not quantified or reported is the 'sex gap' being wider than it's been in centuries in western society.

While all of us here have at least a little money none of us have any sex - thus making us the 'poorest' if access to sexual partners was considered the measure of wealth. Women don't usually realize this, but sex is very important in a man's life - so much so that it could easily be considered as important as actual money. Since we are slightly above poverty in cash, but completely impoverished in companionship, I would say we are currently society's second biggest losers (the biggest losers being bums). So any movie about a loser is going to be relatable to incels, and that loser being solitary will make him a dead ringer for us (even if sex is not brought up explicitly).

Bonus question: Why is this film (starring a main character similar to us) so popular, and yet we are still misunderstood and despised?

We're ugly. And Joker was able to share its pain in an artful and entertaining way whereas we just whine 24/7.
Since I am BOTH, a BUM(homeless) MOST of my existence, and an INCEL ALL of my existence, I can certainly relate, therefore I ENDORSE this post!

brokendog45

Death to fakecels!!!
I believe that without the DC logo Normies will ignore this movie but this a Batman movie And the way it's controversial is that there is a lot of truth for a mainstream movie Normies are scared to see that their actions have consequences and hurt other people Normies always want to play the victim they dont want to see that someone like Arthur exist

The End

Incels.Net Master
Since I am BOTH, a BUM(homeless) MOST of my existence, and an INCEL ALL of my existence, I can certainly relate, therefore I ENDORSE this post!
I am glad you said so!

I believe that without the DC logo Normies will ignore this movie but this a Batman movie And the way it's controversial is that there is a lot of truth for a mainstream movie Normies are scared to see that their actions have consequences and hurt other people Normies always want to play the victim they dont want to see that someone like Arthur exist
Joker (the movie)'s ties to Batman are quite superficial. In fact, I think I read an interview with Todd Phillips in which he stated he planned from the start to make a depressing, ugly movie, but then get people to see it by calling it a superhero movie.

So you think people compartmentalize their enjoyment of the movie by thinking it is purely fiction? I suppose that makes sense. There have always been charismatic bad guys in movies that people like. But if those villainous characters came to life their fans would probably hate them. Maybe, because Arthur is ostensibly based on the very unrealistic character, the Joker, the public can enjoy such a miserable, angry movie. Perhaps if the public realized how similar Arthur was to real people the movie would have received more backlash.

Last edited:

Slap

The Mammoth of Mountanous Muscle ♢ FTW
There is going to be worse terrorists than Joker popping up from this degenerate society in the next decade and I'm going to enjoy their entertainment. I'm planning in buying a year's supply of popcorn for this reason alone.

The End

Incels.Net Master
There is going to be worse terrorists than Joker popping up from this degenerate society in the next decade and I'm going to enjoy their entertainment. I'm planning in buying a year's supply of popcorn for this reason alone.

Popcorn is delicious. And it's important to eat your vegetables, like corn of the popped variety.

Epictetus

Incels.Net Novice

I agree.
Plus, I will add this: technically, Arthur Fleck is celibate non by choice, he is celibate involutary. So, for me, he is an incel, even if he doesn't describe himself like that. For me, that is incels relate so much to him.

Epictetus

Incels.Net Novice
The End said:

Sorry, I hope that isn't too tough for you.